Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wednesday 4th - Hildegard

The third and last person today was the breast physio, Hildegard. She was great too - lots of down-to-earth sensible information about taking it easy but also getting mobile and doing my special exercises as well as normal everyday exercise. We had a laugh because she was saying I could prepare a meal etc now, and I jokingly covered L's ears.

She patted me on the knee and gave a knowing wink and said that I definitely could not do any hoovering or bathroom-cleaning though. She talked me through my daily exercises and also reiterated the necessity to rest. Two general anaesthetics in two weeks is quite a lot to for the body to recover from and to make sure that when I rest to rest properly, ie lie down flat.

She said that my exercises should go to the point of discomfort but not pain. And that I should pat and touch my numb bits because eventually the nerves will respond. That was really good advice because until then I'd felt weird touching my numb bits. It may be a full year or so before I get (almost) full sensation back. At the moment it's very weird.