Monday, March 16, 2009

Monday 16th - All go

Saw Dr Yazdani this morning. Things are all go for the EPU on Wedensday 18th. I'm glad, because I'm getting sore. I've now got 4 big follicles on one ovary and 6 big ones on the other (can't remember which is which, 4R and 6L I think). It's all looking hunky dory so I'm booked in for surgery at 8.30am on Wednesday 18th March. L will have to come with me to do his business too!

We've got forms to sign etc, which is good. I spoke to Dr Yazdani about lawyers etc, if we need them, but he said don't worry it's all on the consent form (which it is), and if we want to make any changes to the standard consent, then we just write it in by hand and sign the form. Probably a good idea to initial the handwritten stuff too. It's a bit like having a joint bank account.

Dr Yazdani is still advocating the freezing of embryos rather than eggs, as there is a much much higher chance of getting a baby from a frozen embryo than from a frozen egg. I asked about half/half and they still think that with 10 potential eggs, it's still better to make them all into embryos. L and I will have to make that decision tonight and sign the forms ASAP. Lots of things to think about, but then again, fairly straightforward. I've been asked if I am going to 'put all my eggs in one basket' and I think I will.

I'm not particularly looking forward to another general anaesthetic, but once this is over with, I hope that's all for a while. I had another discussion with the QFG nurse about the fees, and she showed me yet another fees list, which seemed to be the updated one of the one I'd received in mid Feb when we first went to Eve Health. It now said $800 and something for the Day Theatre fee. I asked her to double check and she did, thankfully, it is $500 flat rate as I'd been told on the phone. She also suggested that I tell the anaesthetist my situation myself, when s/he comes in for the pre-surgery chat. Then they might lower their fees if we're lucky too. She asked what kind of fertilisation it would be (needle assisted or not) and I said I didn't know. I guess not needle assisted as, as far as we know, there isn't any problem with the little swimmers.

I didn't have to have another blood test today, so that was good. Apparently my hormone levels are nice and low, so that means the Femara (hormone suppressant) is working well. I now have to stop femara, synarel and puregon (FSH) immediately (my last dose of each was this morning), and then I have to do another injection of something else this evening at 8.30pm on the dot. That one is very strict because it is related to the time of my surgery. It takes 36 hours to activate, and then I'll be all ready for the EPU.

My arm is getting better too. I did more exercises yesterday and also today while waiting on the bed for my scan. I've definitely got more movement, which is great. The pain seems to be subsiding a bit as well. For the last few days it felt like my tee shirt was lined with gorse, but that's getting less so. Definitely still stiff. I find that when I do the stretches, at first it's a little bit uncomfortable to hold the stretch, but within a couple of seconds I can't feel any pain at all, it feels normal. I'm still paranoid about getting lymphoedema.