Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday 13th - Eggies

Saw Dr Yazdani this morning for a blood test and to check on my follicles. The blood test was so-so, the nurse took a while to get a vein up and then apparently the vein collapsed. Never had that happen before but apparently it's normal. I think my left arm is better for taking blood but can't use that one any more! I suspect the nurse was fairly new at it as well. She was nice though and let me sit down with my feet up and got me a glass of water.

She also confirmed that I was probably sick on Wednesday because of not drinking enough fluids and not eating enough protein. The protein I eat in the form of the occasional power-bar or something like that, but have also just found a coffee flavoured protein drink (like Zap) in the supermarket and that wasn't too bad.

Dr Yazdani did the scan, and ouch! It was rather tender up in there. It had been a little tiny bit sore-ish on the right side, like mini preiod pain, but when he used that scanner, I could definitely feel it and it wasn't pleasant. He said that was normal because my ovaries are bigger than normal thanks to all the follicles. The follicles are growing nicely. I've got 5 on one side and 6 on the other (on Wednesday I had 4 one one side and 5 on the other). He thinks that will be about 10 eggs, which is the right amount they want.

I picked up some more FSH, had to get yet another cool-container thing from them as I hadn't thought to bring one we already have. I hadn't been told specifically to bring it, but when I think about it now, of course I needed it to bring more of the FSH home. Funny that I couldn't plan for that, as I'm normally good at that kind of thing. Another example of brain still not functioning on all cylinders.

One intresting thing I talked about with the nurse was the legal side of the embryos. I asked what happens if one of us dies or if we split up and if Queensland Fertility Group (QFG) will help with the paperwork in preparing for that. She said that QFG doesn't help with the paperwork (not surprising but it was worth asking). If one of us dies, we have to have an affidavit saying the other person can use the embryos. And if we split up, we can't use the embryos at all. I asked about an affidavit for that (using them if we split up) and she said we'd have to talk to our lawyer about it. Very interesting. Unlikely that that will be the case, but still would be good to have all bases covered.

Next appointment is this coming Monday, when all will be revealed about the date for the EPU. More bloods then too, joy.