Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thursday 19th - Choppy

Did you know that the 'predictive text' for the word 'biopsy' comes up as 'choppy'? Apt, I thought.

I did (and do) worry more about having bits lopped off me than the fear of losing my 'womanliness' because it happens to be a breast. I think I'd feel the same way if it was my ear or my finger. It's just not nice to have bits removed. I experienced that the first time I had some moles removed in that I felt like a little piece of me had gone and was never coming back. Interestingly, I never felt that way about tooth removal, although I have managed to keep all my teeth for the tooth fairy.

I've always had a big fear of anything happening to my breasts in general (or anyone's breasts for that matter). I can't bear the thought of slicing or cutting or hurting any part of the body, but in particular such sensitive and soft items as those. I can't watch nip and tuck type shows which broadcast the procedures (even the edited bits), or CSI/SVU type shows where they show or even discuss horrible things that have happened to female victims, especially involving bodily (breast) mutilation. So, the thought of having one of mine taken to with a knife rather freaked me out.

It was the general idea of chopping that worried me more than the (not true) thought that through losing a breast I'd lose a part of who I am as a (female) person.