Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tuesday 24th - Heart

After C arrived, we made our way up to Nuclear Meds. That is not my favourite part of the hospital, after what they did to me last time. But we got there OK and waited about half an hour or so before being invited through to the room where you sit in a big fat armchair thing and they stick needles in. I warned the tech guy that I was a bit of a fainter and he duly made the chair do a lay-z-boy thing and had me as flat as possible. My veins on my right arm are not as good as the ones on the left for the crook-of-the-elbow needles. I didn't look, but he struggled to get it the thingie and after 2 attempts he got a nurse over to do it instead. She got it in in no time. C said afterwards that she was glad he didn't do it because his hands were shaking a bit.

They then gave me an injection of "tin" and washed it up with saline. It was a very strange sensation as I could feel it whooshing up my arm. It wasn't unpleasant or painful, just odd. Then we had to wait 20 minutes and they took me through to the imaging room where I had to lie on the bed thing under the flat plates of the camera. They injected something radioactive and something again (not 100% sure what) and washed that up too. Then I had to lie still for 30 minutes while they took photographs of my heart. I wasn't really able to talk so C did her reading. It worked out well.

After that we were free to go. I wanted them to leave the thingie in my arm because I guessed that I'd need it again later in the day for the CT scan. But they weren't allowed to let me leave the hospital with it in and they also said that if I did have an injection with the CT scan, that it would be a bigger needle. Great.