Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Monday 23rd - Oncologist

After waiting for an hour, we saw the oncologist's registrar, had a rather rushed appointment with the oncologist herself, and then had a chat to the nurse afterwards.

The short version is that they want me to start chemo on FRIDAY. This is a lot sooner than expected. This week I'll be rushing around getting all sorts of tests in preparation for it.

I'm going to be on 9 x 3-week cycles. That means that I'll go in once every 3 weeks to have the drugs administered to me. That is a long time, 18 weeks, 5 months. We asked about working during that time and they said 'most people take the time off work'.

Which isn't exactly reassuring because not only do we have to move (with all those expenses) but also we're going to be on one income. L had a panic about that when we got home. Well, there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not going to put myself under undue stress because I have to get back to work as soon as possible or try to work during the treatment if I'm not up to it. We have some savings, and they might just have to go towards supporting us at this time instead of towards our future house deposit. We'll see how we go.