Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wednesday 25th - Post-op check up

I waited about 40 minutes for my post-op check up. It was with Dr Ben again, plus resident. It was funny because when I got in there, they'd just brought in some more chairs in preparation for my whanau support group. They were very surprised that it was just me.

Ben asked me about the red patch and had a look as well. He pressed on it (gently) and remarked to the resident how it goes white and then red again, which indicated a seroma, a pocket of fluid in the cavity. It's very common after breast surgery. The doctor who'd seen me briefly on Monday also had a quick look and confirmed that it was a seroma and that I've have to have it drained. Not what I was wanting to hear! I asked if it could be done on Thursday but efficient Patsy organised it for that very morning, because they wouldn't have the resources on Thursday. In a way it was good, because I didn't have time to get worried about it. Aside from that, the post-op check up was good and over with fairly quickly.