Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tuesday 24th - CT Scan

C and I took a bus one stop down to the Mater to QScan. We were about 20 minutes early but they had us wait in the waiting room until someone brought me about 600ml of liquid which I had to drink every 15 minutes. That was at about 3.20pm and we asked if it was OK to leave the building while I drank it. It was fine and I set the alarm on my phone to go every 15 minutes as a reminder. We walked down to the coffee shop on the corner. I realised that T worked at the Mater and gave her a call to see if she was able to join us. She did, and the three of us had a coffee and a chat. It was the best waiting time ever. L was finishing work at around 4, so when he called I suggested he join us. He walked over from his work and got there just in time for us to head back up for the scan.

I went in on my own and had to put a gown on. They did end up putting a needle thingie in me, but they were very skilled. I lay down on a bed thing, which moved through the doughnut. They gave me an injection of something, which as they'd warned me, made me feel very warm and gave me a metallic taste in my mouth. It was a very strange sensation, especially as the further the warmth travelled down my torso, the warmer it became and made me feel like I'd wet my pants. They told me I'd feel like that, and they were right. It only lasted about 30 seconds though, thankfully.

I lay still, breathed in, held it, breathed normally, as the machine instructed. It was over in a matter of minutes and I was able to get dressed and join L out in the waiting area. C and M gave us a lift back to L's car and we went home for a well-deserved rest.