Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday 11th - Anaesthetist

Fourth was the anaesthetist, who ran through what will happen on the way in and out of theatre, possible situations with anaesthetic (theatre is the best place to be if you happen to go into anaphylatic shock). He also asked me questions about breathing, listened to my lungs (it must have been a long day for him because he said 'ok, now deep breaths though your lungs', when he meant to say 'through your mouth', but it was funny and we all had a laugh), got me to tip my head back to check my extension, asked me questions about my teeth, and looked at the backs of my hands (he looked very happy when he saw my nice blue veins all ready for the drip). He also said that it would be very very unlikely for me to be awake during surgery (which is one of my irrational fears). He also told me that just before I went into the operating theatre, he'd give me something to make me feel 'happy about the world'. So that was all good.