Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Friday 13th - Night time

A lovely nurse came in to help me have a sponge-bath, and to put my nice new pyjamas on. I was a bit sore still but the worst pain was actually more from the sore throat (from the anaesthetic tube) and my stomach muscles from using those to sit up. Tip: if you're going in for surgery, strengthen those stomach muscles!

L left me at about 9pm (visiting hours were supposed to be until 8pm), and I went to sleep almost immediately. I woke up at about midnight and watched a bit of TV. Luckily Sex and the City was on, so I watched 3 episodes of that. It just happened to be the ones when one of the characters gets testicular cancer. I text'd a few people in London/Ireland, which was great! Meanwhile, the nurse came in to check my bp, temperature, and pain level. She game me some more panadol and then I went back to sleep.

I only woke again at about 4am, when the nurse came to check on me again. I'm sure I woke before she came in. All the nurses were so nice - sensitive and quiet and caring. I then dozed until about 6am. By then I was getting very hungry. The little pot of custard I'd eaten in the night didn't quite fill me up! I asked the next nurse what time breakfast would be, and she said around 7.30am. I dozed and waited but it didn't seem like such a long wait. I watched a bit of TV until I dropped the TV remote and couldn't retrieve it.