Monday, February 16, 2009

Friday 13th Waaaaoooo - Pre-Flight

Where to begin? Friday was quite a day. I'd been nil-by-mouth since midnight the night before and almost almost ate a leftover chip from Thursday's tea but managed to remember that I wasn't supposed to just before it reached my lips.

The appointment was for 6.30am, so we drove up to the hospital at about 6.10am (had to go back because somebody had left their mobile on the charger!) and got to the reception on the ground floor with plenty of time to spare - which was no worries anyway because after I handed over my appointment paper we waited for about an hour before going up to the waiting room outside theatre. We sat there nervously for a while - all the time I kept thinking it was so much like going on a long plane journey.

The anticipation and nervousness were at about the same levels and I had people there to 'see me off', not unlike an airport departure lounge. I'd packed my bag that morning for the hospital, including the usual spare knickers and socks, sleeping mask and ear plugs, and almost felt like I needed to make sure my toilettries were in < 100ml container in clear plastic bags.