Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tuesday 24th - QFG Nurse

After seeing Dr Yazdani, we talked to the nurse, who walked us through the IVF process with what happens biolgically (felt like I was back at those Family Planning/Sex Education trial classes they ran at Intermediate!), bu this time including how the drugs work to stop/start my system. It was all very well organised, with a mini powerpoint type presentation on a shared computer screen. They also offer counselling, although I don't her I don't think I'll utilise counselling for infertility at the moment, but she told us we can use the counsellors to talk about anything, which is good. There is certainly a lot of support accessible out there. At the moment, the IVF seems secondary to all the other stuff.

The nurse also showed me how to do my injections and recommended a high-protein diet and to drink lots of water while that's going on. She also sold me some 'elevit', a pre-pregnancy vitamin supplement, as at the moment we're pretending that my body wants to get pregnant. I left with my little cooler bag/lunch box of medication (which has to be kept in the fridge), plus needles and a special 'sharps' box for my used needles. When L got home he saw the bag in the fridge and thought I'd got some treats! Imagine his disappointment when he saw that it was boring old drugs! I think he had to have a cream egg to get over the shock.