Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Friday 13th - Jet Lag

I woke up in the recovery area, along with all the other recoveries. I wasn't in much pain but I was feeling a bit groggy. I could feel the compression sausages pumping gently on my legs and that gave me something nice to focus on while I was adjusting to being awake. I knew exactly where I was and why I was there and the soft massaging feeling on my legs kind of distracted me from the reality of the situation. The first thing I asked for was to see Mum and Mike because I knew they would be waiting and wondering if I was OK. I could open my eyes and look around (although still sans glasses).

It was really annoying though, because I could focus on something and then my eyes would roll back in my head. I couldn't make them do what I wanted at all! It was like when you're lying in bed at night it's pitch black and you can see kind of floaty things, drifting on their own accord. My point of focus definitely drifted on its own accord - upwards! So I closed my eyes for a bit until I could regain a bit more control. I could hear perfectly and I knew I was ready to be moved from the recovery area into my own 'bed'.

They wheeled me around the corner a bit, as my bed wasn't ready yet. I could hear them on the telephone organising my 'taxi' to take me up. At first I thought this meant I was really going to get in a taxi to go to another part of the hospital, but then realised they meant the person to wheel me upstairs. I heard that Mum was also downstairs looking for me and asked if she could come in, but they said not to worry, only 10 minutes until I could get moving.

Well, that felt like the longest 10 minutes ever! The automatic blood pressure checker had slowed to squeezing my arm only every half hour instead of every 10 minutes and I could just see the 24-hour time on the machine next to me. I could see the minutes part, but my silly eyes couldn't make out the hour part. For all I knew I was there from 13:48 until 14:56 - it sure felt like it - but I think perhaps it was only 8 minutes after all. Then finally, there were two 'taxis' ready for me to take me upstairs to my 'bed'.